Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Why I Went Vegan: I Learned the Truth about Factory Farming


I can't remember the exact date when I decided to give up meat, or when I knew I wanted to become vegan, but I do know what triggered it all.  It was Oprah! Yes, Oprah. I watched one of her shows titled "Food Inc" and was disgusted by what I learned about factory farming. I have always been a compassionate person, so enough was enough, I quit eating meat in protest of the brutal animal holocaust going on in our country and all over the world. I have never looked at meat the same way again. I don't see pork, or beef. I see the face of a murdered animal on a plate.

Oprah also had a second guest on the show, Alicia Silverstone. Alicia was promoting her new vegan book "The Kind Diet". I went out and bought The Kind Diet later that week, and devoured all of the nutritional information and yummy recipes she had included. I knew that I was on the right path, and headed straight towards a vegan lifestyle.

It did take me a while to make the complete switch though. First, I gave up all meat except fish. After that I gave up fish all together. Most recently I gave up dairy and eggs. It took a long time, probably a year, for me to go vegan. Why? I loved cheese. I had no idea how to recreate that flavor. I have searched vegan cookbooks from my library and looked online for the last six months and have stumbled upon some great faux cheesy recipes (don't worry I'll share them later). Once I found my cruelty-free cheese substitute I knew I ready to quit those nasty animal bi-products cold turkey.

I am so happy and proud to be living this lifestyle. All I want to do with this blog is promote the best (and most compassionate) diet in world, Veganism, and show you how it will enrich your life like it has mine.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, cheese was my biggest challenge too and I think it is for a lot of people. I'm always on the hunt for cheesy-type recipes and alternatives to feed my daughter. Maybe we'll discover some great recipes together!

    ReplyDelete